How to add a custom thread to an existing thread profile
Trying to create a thread profile in Solidworks from scratch can be a hustle sometimes, therefore using the existing thread profiles is less time consuming and prone to be errors free.
This blog shows the steps to duplicate and edit existing thread profiles without altering the original thread files.
1. Go to options > File Locations > from the drop-down menu choose thread Profiles > observe the location as shown below:
2. Open the desired thread file, in this case, Metric Die is chosen from the location observed in the previous step.
3. Once the file is opened, switch to Configuration Manager tab and then add a Configuration as shown below:
4. In the Configuration Properties panel, add the custom thread’s name and description accordingly i.e. M52x2. Set the BOM options to Configuration Name as shown below. Click OK once done.
5. As shown below, switch to the Feature Manager Tree and edit the Profile Sketch.
6. Save As the file in the same location, with a different name i.e. “Metric Die 2”.
7. Create a new Part file.
8. From the Features Tab and under Hole Wizard, choose Thread as shown below:
9. Select the edge of the cylinder for thread location.
10. Under Specification, choose the custom thread type saved earlier and choose the custom size accordingly.
I hope you find this blog helpful
Central Innovation, QLD
At Central Innovation, we can provide all – or part – of the solution. Including SOLIDWORKS, ARCHICAD, and many more industry-leading tools.
It’s something we’ve been doing for almost 30 years. Our commitment to customer service is second to none: we help you get the best out of your technology.
For a truly unique solution to your unique challenges, please contact us. Or read about some of the great services and solutions we offer.