PDM DataCards Now You See Me Trick.
Learn • Amgad Yacoub • 26 June 2019
PDM Datacards are important components in Solidworks PDM. They represent the connection between the user’s interface, the SQL database tables and Solidworks custom properties.
- When creating a new file, user inputs some information (Description, Paint colour, …etc.) this information will update the Solidworks custom properties of this file and the SQL database tables.
- Custom properties from Solidworks files (Mass, Material, Volume, …etc.) will show and update on the Datacard that represents this file.
- Finally, SQL/System information (Revision, Approved by, Approved date, …etc.) will show and update on the Datacard that represent this file.
Different data card can be used with different file types (Assembly, Part, Drawing, dwg, PDF, …etc.) or you can use one Datacard with the Now You See Me trick to show and hide file type related fields.
Why you want to do this? One reason will be to reduce the administration and maintenance time and effort. i.e. update company logo, or to replace a variable with a new one. if you have a Datacard for each file type, you will need to do those changes in every Datacard. This is boring and time consuming task, imagine modifying 5 cards and 2 variables in each card. How much time does it takes you to do so? vs doing it on one card
Now, how it works,
In the following example, I am using one Datacard for Parts, Assemblies and Drawing file types.
In case of Parts and Assemblies files, I want the Weight control box to be visible and hidden for Drawings files.
- First step is to define a variable that can be used to control the Weight control box status (visible/hidden).
So, I created a variable called Filename and linked it to Special Value, File name.
Note: The variable must be on the same Datacard that you want to control.
- Now select the Weight control box and from the card editor control tab select Control Logic
- Select the hide option and select the Filename variable Text Contains slddrw
Repeat the same steps for the weight static text.
We are done here.
Keep watching this space for more tips and tricks.
Senior Field Engineer
Central Innovation, Perth
It’s something we’ve been doing for almost 30 years. Our commitment to customer service is second to none: we help you get the best out of your technology.
For a truly unique solution to your unique challenges, please contact us. Or read about some of the great services and solutions we offer.