How to add a custom size thread
Learn • Ahmad Muhammad • 20 June 2019
Today we will dig into adding a custom thread profile in Solidworks, if required to have sizes different to what are available in Standard library.
- First, locate the path and then the folder that Solidworks uses for thread profiles. You will find these files with .SLDFLP format, also called Solidworks Library Feature Part format. Generally located in Program dataSolidworksSolidworks20**Thread Profiles:
- Choose a Standard and open the file in Solidworks. The file contains a sketch(representing cutting tool for thread) with all the dimensions specified, and in the Configurations Tab, a number of configurations for each size can be found:
3. Right click on “Inch Tap Configuration” in the tab and add a new configuration:
4. New size added, now keep this configuration open and edit the sketch as per your requirements and save the file:
5. Now on a part(nut/bolt/screw/rod), apply the size by going into thread option and choosing the recently created configuration in the standard:
Hope this helps. Keep posted for tips and tricks every week.
Central Innovation, Perth
It’s something we’ve been doing for almost 30 years. Our commitment to customer service is second to none: we help you get the best out of your technology.
For a truly unique solution to your unique challenges, please contact us. Or read about some of the great services and solutions we offer.